Friday, February 28, 2014

Hectic; Because Life Just is....

I have been doing my duties as a mom of three and by it's nature, it is hectic.  To add to the mix, I am the PTA President for my kids' K-8 school of 830 students.  I have also volunteered to be the local PTA liaison to Portland Public Schools for the 482 million dollar bond to rebuild three high schools, one middle school and to repair countless others.  Neither one of those jobs is glorious.  I am blessed to be in a position where I can be a "stay at home" mom, though staying at home rarely factors in.

Our school has grown from 450 kids about 6 years ago to 830 this year. Our rapid growth has created lots of stress and for next year and upheaval.  Our first and third graders will be sent to a third campus about a mile away next year.  That campus is already occupied by a program called ACCESS and they will have to adjust to this change too.  The hope is that this is just a one year solution and that boundaries will "fix" the issue going forward.  The idea of moving some of our community members out of the school is nothing short of crappy but in the end, I believe that is what will happen.  On the plus side, the school that they are likely to attend will have many of the same folks from our current school.  It is highly a emotional subject and uncharted territory .

Kees will be going to the third campus.  This is good because as the PTA President, I have some skin in the game.  My family will be effected so I get to chime in and have my vote count.  Yesterday Coulter said he wished he could go to the new campus, Rose City Park.  I asked why and was very pleasantly surprised by his answer.  He said "I'm worried that Kees will get school sick.  You know, like home-sick but for your school.  If I was there then he wouldn't have to feel alone."  I was so struck by his love for his brother, his thoughtful feelings and what his solution was.

In talking to Kees he is not really worried.  Yes, it will be his third campus in three years but he is basically fine with it.  Our children are generally more resilient than we give them credit for.  I have listened to the concerns of parents in reference to their precious little children.  I went to 12 schools and I turned out this awesome.  Purely by the nature of having parents that care so much, these children are ahead. It also means they have the support of their parents and probably are pretty solid kids.  I wish the parents would recognize their children's strength.  I remember as a child when someone spoke to me in a condescending tone I thought, "I am short, not stupid."  I knew I was strong and until proven otherwise, I will assume my children are strong.  I know they have support.

Our community will slog through this together.  There are many issues that need to be addressed and three campuses are messy.  There is funding, transportation, library, computers, teachers, principals, councilors, moving, aftercare, moving of the existing program, working with the other community in the building, support staff, scheduling and so on.  It is a never ending list at this point.  I am afraid that until the first month of school is over there will be fear and uncertainty.  Until that point, I am pretty sure my life will be hectic.  Wish me luck....I need it.

No comments: